Thoughts upon arrival

First class travel is swanky.  Okay, so it's really business class but the seats are nice and big, and its such a nice change.  Such a shame it's 2 short flights.  I understand now why a long haul to Europe with a sleeping berth is in the extra $2000 range.  I did take advantage of the airport lounges.  They aren't entirely as fancy as I expected, but they have snacks for me and a general calm that much of the regular concourse just doesn't have.

Right now it's awesome sitting here in my oversized seat with my pre-takeoff beverage watching everyone go by.  There have been a few who have commented on how they "could have" been up here if they wanted.  But they didn't.

The one undelightful thing, which wasn't really even that big of a deal, was that I was once again pre-selected for extra security screening.  Which is strange because I was selected the last trip to Vegas last month.  It's not really that big of a deal and they were far less excited this time around.  All I got was a patdown and extra wanding of my carry ons.  So not that big of a deal.  Just strange that I was selected 2 trips in a row.

---------------------------------

I've arrived in Costa Rica!  It was 2 short 4 hour flights with a connection in Houston and I'm here in San Jose!

We did arrive early.  Only to wait for a gate.  That should have been a sign of the lineups inside.  It was a half hour wait through customs.  But my paperwork was good and they let me in.  The airport is very chaotic with the arrivals area. There is the one way out that you can't go back into and this is where all the taxi drivers stand, along with any hotels, tour groups or individuals waiting to pick someone up.  I must have been asked if I needed a taxi half a dozen times.  It wasn't as crazy as Greece but I've never seen anything like this at home.

Bed with the 9 pillows, it was comfy
The hotel is pretty nice.  The pictures, as always, make it seem nicer than it is, but I'm quite happy with the hotel.  I do think they are a little overexcited with the decorative pillows on the bed.  I think that 9 pillows all together is excessive.

I did wander across the street to the mall.  It's the largest mall in Costa Rica so it's a good size.  They had a decent sized food court, which I took advantage of.  The saddest part was that it was mostly American stores.  But I shouldn't be too sad because that is what malls are like at home too.  I was highly amused that the one big Canadian thing they have is Scotiabank.  I saw multiple branches across the entire country.  It seems strange that of all the banks to make it into central America that Scotiabank would go.  Don't worry, they still have Hooters in San Jose.

Mall across the street from the hotel
We had our welcome meeting tonight after dinner.  At first Paul, our tour guide, seemed a little abrupt, but he does have a good sense of humor.  He also seems to be highly amused/excited that I'm from Canada.  I am the only Canadian on the trip, which brought a gasp from my fellow travellers.  It was a little strange.

Which brings me to a strange observation.  The conversation ALWAYS, always, always goes with the Americans asking me where I'm from.  I answer Canada.  And usually get, oh where in Canada.  I give them some vagueness, like Western Canada, north of Montana.  And get crickets in return, and usually a comment of I've been to Vancouver, and then a long diatribe about the exact spot in the state where they are from, and usually where they grew up too.  I do appreciate having a knowledge of basic geography and that I have at least a vague idea of where on the map Kansas City, Indianapolis or San Diego are.  I can at least tell which area of the country the state will be.  I did have less painful conversations of which exact corner of the state people were from.
One of the pools at the hotel in San Jose

On the positive side of things, we have a 36 person group.  Which is awesome considering we have a 50 seat bus.  Woo hoo!  I guess 4 people cancelled after hearing about the volcano that erupted in the Southeast part of the country.  Also, I am by far the youngest person in the tour.  By a few decades.

Tomorrow we visit our first volcano, the Po
Sunset from my hotel room in San Jose
as.  It's active but not the one that recently erupted and shut the airport down.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Temple day

Museum and Beach time

Denpasar to Ubud