Getting Retardedly Lost, again

I've discovered that I am a really good navigator in a car.  Give me a teeny map with a few details and I can get you anywhere, in any city.  As soon as I am on foot I'm useless.  It doesn't matter how hard I try I will always go the wrong direction.  I had a lovely morning downtown Halifax, more on that later, and on my way back to the hotel I ended up walking in a gigantic circle around the hotel.  Stupid cities and their street names.  At least with numbers you only go a block or so out of your way.  Funnily enough, the man who checked me in was really confused and asked if I lived on nineteen thousand street.  Not how it works.  But anyways.  I was disturbingly happy to have found the hotel.  Of course I didn't bring any sort of way of contacting the hotel for help so I was on my own.  My feet hurt a bit but I survived.  I also got lost on the driving but the gps helped me get back on course.  And mostly because the gps is a little strange and told me after the turn that I should have turned.  Very helpful.  And finally, I got lost when I first picked up the car as the man was so nice to put my suitcase, with my gps, in the trunk.  It all worked out when I found a Smitty's for breakfast and then got myself back on track.  Otherwise I'm not entirely sure what I would have done for food.  There isn't a lot of restaurants. 

I did walk down to downtown Halifax.  What a pretty city.  They do have some crazy San Francisco hills that I had to really encourage myself to climb.  The humidity is also retardedly high.  It's like Miami here, my hair is a complete frizz mess, damn you slight curl.  And it's been plastered to my head all day.  I did have a very adventurous morning, I hit province house, home of Nova Scotia's lieutenant governor, and it is the oldest residence in all of North America.  The girl doing the tour was a little robotic but it's really fancy.  And free.  I was going to tour the legislature but I was a little creeped out by the doors that didn't look like an actual entrance with the security guard peering out a window beside.  It was strange.  Instead I wandered down to the waterfront and walked along there.  So pretty.  I found the old town clock, which was up the giant hill.  It was okay.  But I did find the Citadel.  It is the old fortress from when Halifax was the defender of Canada.  It was an impressive tour.  They hire college and high school students to dress up and act in character and have free tours and everything.  And they all have to dress up in the heavy, heavy uniforms and kilts.  I hope they pay them well.  At the very least they seem to enjoy it. 

After all that (and after I found the hotel again) I loaded up Ally.  Ally is my rental car.  She is a free upgrade so I have a nissan altima for the week.  She has some impressive power, we did well on the highway.  It'll be hard to go back to Isadora who isn't as good on the uptake.  She's also a fancy push button ignition.  Which totally weirds me out.  But I do have to press a button on the fob to lock and unlock so hopefully I shouldn't lose the key.  That wouldn't be very good! 

But we headed to Peggy's Cove for the afternoon.  It wasn't too bad of a drive.  But people here all drive really slow.  Like they are all at the speed limit.  If it says 110 they all go 110 or under.  Seriously.  That drove me a little nuts.  But it was well worth the drive.  The lighthouse was so pretty and the ocean views were amazing.  I also visited the Swiss Air flight memorial which was impressive. 

I also decided that since I have a car to transport my worldly belongings that I could stock up on some groceries.  So I found a Sobeys along the way.  What a strange world.  They take airmiles.  And you bag all your own stuff like superstore.  And the products that they have are all so different.  And I found liege waffles that you can heat up on your own.  So I bought some and I'm hoping they'll be okay in the microwave in my room!  It's so funny the little changes that you can see within the same country. 

But don't worry.  Tim Horton's is on every corner like home.  I don't travel within Canada that much so it's a novelty to see it every where.  It's like I never really left home!

Tomorrow I move inland Nova Scotia.  I'm off to Joggins, home of fossil cliffs that I get to tour.  I'm pretty excited for that.  And probably some lighthouses.  I'm also happy to note that my new camera takes awesome self portraits.  It's paying for itself already!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Temple day

Museum and Beach time

Denpasar to Ubud