Storybook mastadons

Well, I didn't get lost today.  That was an accomplishment.  I did do a lot of driving but it was mostly on highways so it was easy.

I left Halifax and headed north to joggins, where they have fossil cliffs. Now these aren't animal fossils but more of the mundane sort consisting of plants and bugs. But it goes back 300 million years and because of the unique geography they are tilted instead of stacked so as you walk away you go back farther in time.  I'll admit, I won't look at rocks the same way.  But of course because it was on the bay I drove down all these secondary highways through little towns, and they all have a church and accompanying cemetery.  But it was worth the drive.

Afterwards I went through the coast instead of the highway and hit up parrsboro and saw ottawa house.  Which is really just an old house on the outskirts of town filled to capacity of any sort of item afrom the 1900's.  I didn't stay too long.  And then I went to a lighthouse and even got to climb to the top up the steep stairs.  It was interesting.

I big gem of the day was in stewiacke.  They have mastodon ridge.  They found a mastodon fossil so as a big draw they out one up in a hill along the highway.  It was a nice excuse to get out of the car.  They are also a midpoint between the north pole and the equator!  Such strange side attractions.

Now I am in my super awesome hotel in Antigonish.  this is a picture book town.  Main street is super quaint and the college down the street could be used in a movie it is so textbook perfect and stereotypical at the same time.  I arrived around sunset so I'm hoping to get up in the morning and take some pictures before I head off!

Off to bed now for another exciting day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Temple day

Museum and Beach time

Denpasar to Ubud