Oddities of PEI

So ends my day in PEI.  It's such a pretty island, not as flat as I expected!  I started the day Exploring Charlottetown.  I found parking which is a whole 1.50 an hour.  So cheap.  I was discussing it with a lady in the store and she said that people are in an uproar about it.  It really is what you are used to.

I went to province house, the home of confederation.  Most of the building is a heritage setup with rooms that aren't used any more and are setup as how it was.  Their representatives only number 27 so they don't need a lot of space.  But it was a nice tour.  I then meandered over to beaconsfield house.  It was an old house built by a boat builder who then went bankrupt 5 years later.  And it was a private tour as it is really quiet here.

I was a little scared of how busy things would be based on the guidebooks, but I'm thinking the books didn't take the recession into account.  Things are really quiet here.  I even got a free upgrade on my hotel in Moncton,  I paid for a queen room and got a king room with kitchenette for free!  So I found a grocery store and stocked up for the next few days!  The girl in the store saw my license and was excited that I was visiting.  That was nice.  I can tell it is really quiet as the lady that I had the conversation with parking about was a special sort.  I bought some postcards and didn't realize that one was a prepaid stamp one.  And so she decided that I should get a free one to make up for it,  but then when she learned that I was from Alberta she said that we have all the jobs so maybe I should have to pay.  She was joking but seemed a little bitter.

After Charlottetown I headed west to Cap-Egmont,  home of the bottle houses.  Some crazy guy built a house, a chapel, and a tavern out of glass bottles and concrete. It sounds sad but was really cool.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Then I headed to O'Leary, home of the potato museum,  it was interesting to see some of the old farm equipment and learn about potatoes.

On my way back I went to the west point beach,  they have a lighthouse that has been turned into a hotel.  That might be interesting, only you are far from everything.  They also have a lovely red sand beach and a boardwalk so as to not damage the dunes.  It was really cool until i saw the signs educating me about poison ivy.  Let's just say there was lots along the path.  But never fear, I avoided it!

I didn't go to cavendish to see Anne of green gables as to be honest I've never read the books.  I was more of a little house on the prairie girl!  Also I didn't have too much time as it was more north than I travelled. I'm finding that it is easy to plan things on paper at home and it doesn't sound like too much but after a few days of driving endlessly you start to get more realistic!  There's been a few things I've had to reject now, but I guess it just means that I'll have to come back.

On my way to Moncton I got to drive Confederation Bridge.  That was cool,  but really windy.  I think my arms and shoulders might hurt from having to keep the car steady that long.  It's crazy long but you can't see anything because the guard rails are too high to see over.  Probably a good thing.

Tomorrow I'm off to see the bay of fundy, the hopewell rocks and the crazy high and low tides.  To should be really interesting.  Check out thehopewellrocks.ca to see it.  I'm pretty excited.  I'm also sad that my trip is almost done.  I'm getting ready to come home but want more adventure first.  I'm also impressed at how well I'm doing on my own.  Canada is a safe place and the maritimes is really easy going so it's easy to travel on my own!  I haven't gotten lost too much but my gps has interesting ideas on where I should go.  I found some gravel as the gps thought I should get off the highway and drive in a giant circle back to it.  So I've been consulting my map as well now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Temple day

Museum and Beach time

Denpasar to Ubud