Rain, rain and more rain

I can't believe that we are already in Germany.  Also, this keyboard is strange.  I am going to assume it is a German language thing. 

We had a crazy day today.  We really spent most of the day traveling but it did not feel like that at all.  We departed rainy Amsterdam and headed south.  The highways here are all very nice and well planned.  Good deal for us.

We spent a few hours driving to Köln, or Cologne as we have changed it to.  We did not have much time there but we did get to tour the cathedral.  It is crazy big.  It is a huge gothic cathedral covered with stained glass.  I was impressed.  Also, it was free.  Then we had a bit to wander at will and find some snacks.  Of course I found a few bakeries.  I feel like it is my responsiblity as a baker to check things out and see something new.  Of course I have no idea on the names but I found some very delicious stuff.  And it rained on the way back to the bus.  Then we drove along the Rhine river and all of the lovely little German towns.  They are all so picturesque.  I really liked that.  Then we went for a cruise on the Rhine river and saw all the castles along the banks. 

Back way in the day they used to build castles and then take a toll from all the boats coming along.  I imagine that would make you a nice profit. 

After that we continued along to Heidelberg.  We went to take pictures in the pouring rain of the castle.  Sadly, we do not get to see it anymore because the Japanese have fallen so in love with it that it is crazy busy.  I think the plan after supper is to wander around the city and check it out as we leave early tomorrow for our next destinations.

I was highly amused by the amount of farms we passed.  They grow a lot of canola.  But instead of the typical sections we see in Canada they are teeny farms, likely only a few acres.  We did also see a lot of potatoes along the way.  I think my Dad would be proud of us being able to identify them from a speeding bus!

We also heard a big background of the war.  I am not sure if I said it before but Amsterdam loves Canada because we liberated them from the Germans.  That is right, do not mess with us!  But it was a little surreal to hear the guide talk about her parents and the roles they played in WWII.  It is still very recent in the minds of the Europeans which I am not used to as it plays such a small role in our lives.  I know my Grandpa did not like to talk about it at all and that seems to be the opinion of most.  And aside from learning some in school it is not a big focus at home. 

But the people here are all so nice and friendly and excited to see tourists! 

Tomorrow we are off to Rothenburg, a walled city and then we head south to Oberammergau and the castle! 

Popular posts from this blog

Temple day

Museum and Beach time

Denpasar to Ubud