Olympic Dreams

For a smaller country there is still quite a bit of time to travel between places.  Especially when all the ancient sites are usually off the beaten track.

Today we hit ancient Olympia, both the site and the museum.  It was all out together and our tour group did the first set of group intros only today.  I guess she used to do it on the site of the Olympic stadium but she isn't allowed anymore.  I'm figuring out more names and the group is feeling a little more cohesive after being on the bus for a few days now.  There is one guy who is Greek but I think he lives in Toronto, but he seems to think he is the assistant tour guide or something.  I really did think he worked at the last hotel until I had dinner with his group last night.  But for the most part there isn't anyone who is terribly offensive.

The one drawback for the tours is that everyone wants their piece of the pie.  All the tours involve some sort of stop where they show you how stuff is made and then try to get you to buy it.  Some places are upfront and admit that the tour guides get a cut of what you buy, but most don't admit to this.  Today's shopping was at a pottery shop.  The stuff was nice but I struggle with buying a 85€ Greek vase to take home.  But it did get us out of the bus while some crazy guy tried to sell us fruit from the back of his truck while he power smoked.  I hope he was also going for the locals because I can't see any of my fellow travellers going for his watermelons.

We stopped and had lunch right outside of Olympia and walked to the museum.  Today's tour in the museum was a little more brief which I appreciated.  We then walked out to the Olympic site.  Also, it was at least 30 degrees out, but I think it might have been hotter.  After burning my nose and scalp I decided screw the wind and wore my hat which made it much easier to bear.  It was really impressive walking around all the old buildings and have it all recreated for us.

But today was a really interesting day even if we did spend most of it driving and shopping.  morrow we are off to we are off to Delphi.  I think it is about the same distance away so

I think the most boring job in Greece must be ancient site watcher.  They have a lot of rules of what you can and can't do.  No taking pictures in any sort of pose in from of statues as they feel it is disrespectful.  I've seen them stop many people in various locations and everyone is always confused why.  This is why you read at least one guidebook.  But in ever museum and every archaeological site they have watchers with whistles.  You hear the whistles more than you should.  One of the guys in my tour even used an ancient basin to rest up against.  Museum people did not like that!

On our journey to Olympia we drove through the Arcadian mountains.  It's a lush beautiful part of Greece.  The mountains aren't as majestic as the Rockies but the view from our hotel on the top of the hill can't be beat!  I'm enjoying it now because for some reason the wifi works outside but not inside...

After the site we spent a little bit of time in the town as the hotel is on the top of a giant hill which is pretty much not walkable after a day of touring.  And man are they aggressive with trying to sell.  After the economic boom at home where it is just busy everywhere it is a nice change to have some quiet.  Things are busy but never overwhelmingly busy.  I just can't imagine what a busy season would be.  But you could see the excitement in the shop owners eyes when they saw the tour bus pull up.

I find that the smaller, more touristy places aren't as obviously hit by the austerity measures,  I could really see it in Athens when so many of the store fronts along what is one of the main roads were mostly just all boarded up.  But you can see that it is quiet, the restaurants that have room for dozens of busses have only a few.  And all the shops are empty of customers.  So it's a good time for me to have visited!

After the shopping excitement we headed up to the hotel.  So pretty, lovely rooms, I even have a sunken living room.  We did have a tzatziki demonstration included.  It looked like the poor chef drew the short straw and was forced to demonstrate.  It was okay but a little awkward because our tour guide had to translate.  But I do know now how to make delicious, delicious tzatziki.

I've been pushing myself to not keep sitting with the two ladies I've been sitting with.  I don't want to become that girl who follows them around.  So I have been meeting a few more new people.  And I've met a few people that know where Edmonton is and they aren't from Canada.  I was shocked.

My crazy Greek friend has gotten a little crazier.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Temple day

Museum and Beach time

Denpasar to Ubud