Picture Portion of the Trip!

This is the view from my first hotel room that wouldn't load.  Fabulous right?

Athens isn't a really green city, but I found that wherever they could put any sort of greenery they did.

Here I am up on the roof garden with the lovely view of Athens behind me

This is a stadium near the acropolis we visited

Our first view of the parthenon.  It's up high but you have to be in the right spot to see it!

The Erichtheon on the Acropolis, with the Caryatids.  You can't see them too well but they are the pillars shaped like ladies.  These are reproductions as the originals are now in the Acropolis Museum

Parthenon entrance

Me at the Parthenon

A church in the ancient Agora.  Every little town on the way to the other sites seemed to have a church very similar to this.

Lemon tree, there were so many citrus trees, it was a regular occurence to see oranges all over the streets

Roman baths they uncovered while trying to build the metro line for the Olympics

Changing of the guard in front of the Parliament building

Statue in the National Archaeological Museum, see I did finally find the place!

Teeny, tiny car dealership

Corinth Canal, it looks really nice and blue in the picture but was drab in real life

Temple of Apollo in Ancient Corinth

Beehive tomb entrance in Mycenae, with the back of Poupi, our guide

Me at the top of Mycenae with the lovely scenery


The entrance to the other part of Mycenae, at the fortress, a little distance from the grave

Epidaurus Theatre

More Epidaurus

The cat at Epidaurus, he could be found wherever people were

My view of the courtyard at the hotel in Napflio

Me at the temple in Olympia, rocking my old lady hat, but it kept my scalp from getting burnt any more and kept me cool in the 33+ temperatures

The stadium in Olympia, a few people tried running from other groups and one guy fell spectacularly

More Olympia

Here we learned how to make Tzakziki, it was delicious and I kinda want to try making some for myself now

The view at the end of the road in Olympia, our hotel was at the very top of the hill so we had some really nice views

Sphinx in the museum at Delphi

Apollo temple at Delphi

Stadium at the top of Mount Parnassus in Delphi, this was quite the climb to get up here

Temple of Athena, this is what you see when people speak of Delphi, however it is off the beaten track and not part of the main archaeological site

Sunset in Delphi, it was rainy with thunderstorms, but not a heavy rain, it just cooled things off nicely

Peacocks at the truck stop...

The rocks above Kalambaka

Monastery in the sky

More rocks

Another monastery, that one pictured is hard to get to

More rocks, but look at the view, I can understand why they built monasteries way up here

Me rocking my sarong, ladies have to wear a skirt to be allowed in

The basket that people used to have to ride in before there were easy ways to access the monasteries

me up on the rock.  Our tour guide was afraid to let us all go up here, and there was an even scarier part. So the Greek Guy, Gus, convinced me to go up


I woke up to a racket and realized that there was a bird nest in the balcony.  Glad that I didn't spend any time out there...

View of Athens from atop Lycabettus hill

Parthenon from Lycabettus hill

Temple of Olympian Zeus

Crazy bathroom on the hill.  I think that they had regular public bathrooms but I used the fancy restaurant ones.  The water drains from the rocks below, so weird...

the fununcular to get up and down the hill


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Temple day

Museum and Beach time

Denpasar to Ubud